The fruit, or result, of righteousness is the outgrowth of righteousness in the heart. A truly righteous person will display certain actions and attitudes that confirm the nature of the heart: honesty, kindness, meekness, goodness, love, etc.
The wording of the NLT links the fruit to our salvation and the resulting Christian character: “the fruit of your salvation—the righteous character produced in your life by Jesus Christ.” It’s Paul’s desire that the Philippian believers will show external evidence that they are truly righteous, that they will harvest what the Holy Spirit produces in them, that they will be “filled” with all that Christ’s righteousness yields.
Philippians 1:9-11 NIV 9 And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight,
Note: First know that you ARE loved…
- Ephesians 3:16-19 NIV I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
- 1 Thessalonians 3:12 NIVMay the Lord make your love increase and overflow for each other and for everyone else, just as ours does for you.
10 so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ,
- 2 Corinthians 5:10 NIV For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.
- Romans 14:10 NIV You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat.
The Bema Seat
- 1 Corinthians 3:12-15 NIV If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.
11 filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God.
It is evidence of salvation:
- Galatians 5:22-23 NIV But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
It is what we are called to do:
- Ephesians 2:10 NIV For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
It is what gives God glory:
- Matthew 5:16 NIV In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.